This dish is my interpretation of a personal favourite from “le mani in pasta” in Rome.
- 500g paccheri pasta
- 2 dozen scampi, halved and ‘butterflied’
- 2 cloves garlic, sliced finely
- 500g cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 tsp dried chilli flakes, optional
- 1 bunch parsley, chopped
- extra virgin olive oil
- Put a large pot of salted water on the stove and bring to a boil.
- Heat a griddle pan and brush scampi flesh with olive oil. Grill flesh side down until just cooked through. Take the scampi meat from the shells, leaving 8 in tact for serving. Set the meat aside.
- In a large pan, add some olive oil and garlic. When the garlic starts to soften, add in the chilli and then the cherry tomatoes.
- At this stage, add the pasta to the boiling water and cook to the packet instructions.
- Add a ladle or two of the pasta water to the tomatoes and squish the tomatoes with the back of a spoon. Season the tomatoes and add the scampi meat and parsley.
- When the pasta is cooked, drain and add the sauce, toss the sauce and pasta together and serve on a large platter or individual plates. Finish with the whole scampi and drizzle with oil.