I always love a cake that can be made in one bowl and with only a wooden spoon, simply delightful to make and eat!
- 1 1/2 cups almond meal
- 1 cup caster sugar
- 3/4 cup dessicated coconut
- 4 eggs
- zest of one large or two small lemons
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 175g unsalted butter, melted and cooled to room temperature
- 1 1/2 tbsp flaked almonds
- 1 1/2 tbsp flaked coconut
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees. Line and grease a 24cm cake tin.
- In a large bowl combine the almond meal, sugar and coconut.
- In a small bowl whisk the the eggs and add the vanilla extract and the lemon zest. Add the butter gradually while whisking the eggs.Add this wet mixture to the almond meal and stir to combine.
- Pour into the cake tin and bake for 45-50 minutes. Check half way that the sides are not browning too much, if so cover the tin with foil. The cake is ready when it springs back when touched.
- Take out of the oven and allow to cool.
- Toast the almonds and coconut in a dry pan and sprinkle over the cooled cake. Alternatively dust with icing sugar.