This dish has all the taste and less guilt than a cheesy lasagne. A perfectly satisfying meal with a crisp green salad or a great side to a chicken schnitzel.
- 3-4 large eggplants, washed and sliced lengthwise (2-3mm thick)
- 2x 400g tinned tomatoes
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 dried chilli, chopped (optional)
- 1tsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 1/2 tsp sugar
- 150g parmasen cheese, grated
- 150g buffala mozzarella or fiore di latte cheese
- 1/2 bunch basil, washed
- extra virgin olive oil
* If you have a BBQ, I think it is best to grill the eggplant on this as it will be quicker otherwise use a griddle or fry pan.
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees. Heat the BBQ.
- To make the sauce add the garlic, chilli and a little oil to a saucepan on a medium heat allow to soften then add the tinned tomatoes. Bring to a boil and allow to simmer for 5 minutes. Add the vinegar, sugar and season with salt and pepper. Puree in a food processor or with a hand held and set aside.
- Brush oil over both sides of the eggplant and grill either sides until charred.
- Take a medium sized oven proof dish. Start with a layer of tomato sauce, then a layer of eggplant followed by the tomato sauce, grated parmesan and a few torn basil leaves. Continue in this way till finished with the last layer being the tomato sauce and parmesan. Place in the oven for 25 minutes. Take the parmigiana out and add some torn mozzarella to the top. Place back in the oven under the grill for a further 5 minutes or until brown and bubbling.