This dessert is pure heaven and perfecting this easy custard will make you the perfect hostess!
- 500ml cream
- 200ml milk
- 125g caster sugar
- 1 vanilla pod, cut lengthwise
- 5 egg yolks
- 1 egg white
- 1 tbsp rose water, optional
- 100g demerara sugar
- Preheat the oven to 120 degrees. Put the cream, milk and half the caster sugar in a sauce pan with the vanilla pod and bring just to the boil.
- Mix the remaining sugar egg yolks and white in a large bowl. Strain the boiling milk and cream over the egg mixture and whisk well. Stir in the rose water.
- Either use 8 small ramekins or one large shallow oven proof dish. Ladle the custard into the dish or ramekins. Sit the dish or ramekins into a large roasting pan and add enough hot water to come halfway up the side of the custard.
- Cook for 1 ½ hours or until set in the centre, allow to cool and refrigerate. For at least 5 hours. Before serving sprinkle with the demerara sugar and caramelize under a very hot grill or with a blowtorch. Serve immediately.