Make this moist chocolate cake for the one you love or decorate it with sprinkles to make a perfect kids birthday cake.
This is a super easy chocolate cake recipe. You only need the basic ingredients and it comes out perfectly moist and yummy. I have used two cake pans for this recipe but you can use one larger pan if you prefer.
- 2 cups caster sugar
- 3 cups caster sugar
- 250g unsalted butter, chopped
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder, sifted
- 1 tsp bicarb soda
- 3 cups self raising flour, sifted
- 4 eggs
BUTTER CREAM ICING
- 250g butter, softened
- 2 1/2 cups soft icing mixture, sifted
- 1/3 cup cocoa, sifted
- 2 tbsp milk
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees. Grease a large 30cm cake pan and line the base with baking paper, or do the same with two 20cm cake pans to make two cakes.
- Melt the butter in a saucepan on low heat, then add the water, soda, cocoa and sugar. Bring to a boil and then allow to simmer for 5 minutes. Transfer to a large bowl and allow to cool. When cooled add the flour and eggs to the chocolate mixture and beat with an electric mixer until smooth and pale in colour.
- Pour mixture into the pan and bake for an hour (if you are using 2 pans, the cooking time will be less, around 45 minutes). Test that the cake is ready by pushing a skewer through the middle. If the skewer comes out clean, the cake is cooked. If the skewer is not clean, the cake needs some more time. Stand the cake in the pan for 15 minutes before turning out on a cake rack. Do not ice the cake until it is completely cooled.
- Meanwhile you can make the frosting. Using an electric mixer, beat the butter until pale and fluffy. Add the icing sugar followed by the cocoa a little at a time until fully combined. Lastly add the milk. Ice the cake and serve.